Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Soooper Manivannan - what a man!

Manivannan: “Am I talking to an audience where everyone is from an engineering background?”

We: “Yes”

Manivannan: “Vivek Pawar had asked me to talk on integrity to the employees of Sankalp.

Well I shall take some time to get to the point I would like to make.

Can someone tell me what entropy is?”

Pijush: “It is the degree of randomness of ….(trails away)”

Manivannan: “Correct…Now someone tell me what happens when the entropy of a system increases?”

Audience: “It is excited to the next state.”

Manivannan: “Now, what does a body do when it is at a high energy state?”

Niket: “It radiates and tends to come back to its lowest energy state.”

Manivannan: “Partially right in the context! Can you repeat what you said so that everybody in the audience can listen to it once again.”

The statement is repeated to the audience.

Manivannan: “Our famed scientist Albert Einstein had said that each body has finite amount of energy. So, can someone tell me what a lie is?”

Mrinal: “Something which is not true.”

Manivannan: “(Laughs) Yes, anything which is not based on facts is a lie. For each act of ours in life, we have to spend energy. Am I right? Now, when each one of us possess finite amount of energy, now think about it, is it feasible to lie?

Now, the question is how much does each one of us lie. I want each one of you to think back and tell me about how much you lie and tell the truth.

Audience: “A 40-60 ratio.”

Manivannan: “Yes. 40-60 ratio. I say the ratio is even worse for Indians!

What many of us do is spend our energy when we speak on things 60 % of which are not feasible.

Lets take a rather odd example. If we ban blue denim jeans in the HDMC office, and my boss asks me to report anybody wearing blue denims, and one such day I find my close friend wears blue denims. My boss asks me that day whether anybody in the office has worn blue denims. Now, I choose to lie. I say no. So, if he is satisfied by my reply he keeps quite. Otherwise, my boss has known this friend of mine to be fond of blue denims. He asks me what trousers has that friend of mine worn. Now, I will have to spend extra energy to cook up a lie and tell him some colour.....Black. You get it don’t you? If the boss has seen my friend that day then I will have to circumvent this problem with another lie.

See, each one of us has limited amount of energy. Keep putting it in things which will give you value for your investment. To lie incessantly does not fall under any category


2 comments:

Indus Creep said...

Er. Bullshit. Finite amount of energy??? And energy can neither be created nor destroyed...so keep spending it. Like recyclable resource it is.

Niket said...

Well.....CJ....he was talking in the context of coruuption of LLL max people.
Only such LLL people indulge in corruption. So...for LLL max people, energy is limited. The amount of work they can do is limited. If you think, you have got the gist what he said you havent! If you say bullshit, so be it! Cheers!

P.S: Mannivannan is one of the best IAS officers in the entire state of Karnataka. He is a role model on how BABUS also manage to do remarkable work where-ever they are posted.A great role model on issues like integrity, weeding out corruption etc..